Skip to main content

I'm not going to link to last night's monster "Social History" thread, since 630 comments or so will crash some people's browsers like a 68 Impala at a demolition derby.  But a question came up there that has appeared before, and there has yet to be a satisfactory answer provided.  So I'm throwing this out here in a Diary to try to plumb the depths of the dKos collective consciousness.

The mystery:  You may have seen the phenomenon of recipes being posted in response to trolls--it started with trollish diaries, but seems to have progressed to responding to indvidual comments regardless of what story or thread they are attached to.  Some people attribute this idea to me, and while I think it's clever and I would love to take credit--it wasn't me.  My own personal thought is that it was Maryscott O'Connor who started the gastronomic tradition, but others say it wasn't her.

Hence, the mystery.

[UPDATE: The mystery may be solved; see inside]

I freely acknowledge that I was instrumental in the idea of hijacking trolls' diaries:  I have fond memories, in fact, of collaborating with folks like Mike S in trying to pull rugs out from under BillM and AnybodyButDean and the like.  But I never did recipes; in fact, I've only posted a small handful of recipes total.

So, dKossers, who did it?  'Fess up, if it was you.  Or, if your memory is clearer than the rest of ours, set us straight. [UPDATE: jigsaw68 sluethed around and found this thread, which features zeke L and several others, including Hamletta, all posting diaries. But the comment further downthread by LeftHandedMan would seem to indicate that the tradition was established before this. So . . .anyone want to dig deeper?]

Originally posted to folkbum on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 05:17 PM PST.

Poll

What kind of recipes would you like to see for the next troll attack?

11%7 votes
6%4 votes
14%9 votes
11%7 votes
0%0 votes
12%8 votes
14%9 votes
11%7 votes
3%2 votes
14%9 votes

| 62 votes | Vote | Results

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  it was (none)
    MSO she said so in a thread this weekend.  it may well be in the social history thread.

i personally love this trick and have contributed several yummy dishes.

•  Not in that thread (none)
      She popped in to say that she was back in town after ten days with family, but none of her recent comments contain such an admission.

I blamed credited her, but Mike S says nay, and since he's like a god to me, I have to trust him.

•  re: Not in that thread (none)
        I also thought it was Maryscott.  I know that my first exposure to the practice was one of her comments.  Why does Mike S say no?

Besides, even if it wasn't her it coulda been.  It seems so uniquely her...

(with apologies to the originator if it was someone else)

The chips are down. Find your outrage.

by sj on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 06:39:35 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  Chicken With Peppers and Onions (4.00)
    One pound Chicken Bre...

Oh, wait...

Sorry, never mind.

•  Can't vote (4.00)
    because I take the position that the type of recipe should  be considered in context with the type of troll dropping it is in response to.

For example, I use the most over-the-top três chic urban ultra-fabulous Hors D'oeuvres when it is an anti-gay rant... a chili recipe when it is nothing but steaming burning bullshit, etc.

cheers,

Mitch Gore

Nobody will change America for you, you have to work to make it happen

by Lestatdelc on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 05:16:01 PM PST

•  Wasn't Me... (none)
    ...but I'd watch out for a suprise 68 Imperial.

I miss derbying :(

•  recipes are a good idea. (none)
    a very good idea. charming and clear.

on mr. s, looking back, you have to conclude the loser was him. he's obsessed with trolls to this very day. he sees his old nemeses around every corner. not a flattering portrait.

to dispel any previous confusion arising from the sig before this,
    i'd like to reaffirm that this account is indeed dedicated to justice.

by Tacoma Narrows on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 05:17:00 PM PST

•  Possibly Hamletta? (none)
    If nothing else, she's can draw her recipes and fire three or four meals by the time the next fastest person has dashed off an appetizer.
  •  Because I couldn't resist (none)
    A Day at the Beach

Amaretto    1/2 oz.
    Rum, coconut    1 oz.
    Grenadine    1/2 oz.
    Orange Juice    4 oz.
    Pineapple    Wedge of

Strawberries

Preparation:

Shake everything except your garnishes in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Strain into a highball glass half-full of cubed ice. Serve with pineapple wedge and a strawberry as a garnish.

It's not getting any smarter out there. -- Frank Zappa

by Page van der Linden on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 05:17:19 PM PST

•  Col. Mustard (4.00)
    with the candlestick, in the library.
  •  Filibusters (none)
    I've always thought it was a ploy to take up time to prevent a certain bill being passed in Congress. Recipes are/were a favorite form of filibustering. Other timekillers would be recitals of baseball stats,Books of the New Testament, Oscar winners for best picture year after year, and the actors who performed in the movies, and on and on.

I don't know how or how long I've known this, but thought it was common knowledge.

•  IT WAS ME!!!! (none)

oh, no, wait, no it wasn't

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people... it is true that most stupid people are conservative - John Stuart Mill

by Sarkasba on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 05:23:44 PM PST

•  hey! (none)
    what social history thread?

where was I?

c'mon, you guys, list a title, will you?

•  FYI (none)
    Wikipedia has a very thoughtful summation and history of Internet Trolls.  It's an interesting read if you have some time to kill.

"I feel your scorn and I accept it." - Jon Stewart

by starkness on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 05:41:10 PM PST

•  recipes (none)
    How 'bout soul food?
  •  kid o, i thought (none)
    I don't know if he originated it, but I'm pretty sure kid oakland had something to do with its semi-institutionalization as a dKos troll-repellent.
  •  aoeu (none)
    French Toasted Ham Sandwich
    3 eggs beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    12 slices bread
    4 to 6 ounces thinly sliced ham
    1/4 cup butter

Combine eggs, milk, sugar, and salt; whisk together. Top 6 slices of bread with the ham; cover with remaining bread. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture. Heat butter in large skillet over medium-low heat. Brown sandwiches on both sides, about 5 minutes on each side. Cut sandwiches in half; arrange on hot platter.
    Makes 6 sandwiches.
    These can be made in a sandwich maker.

no haikus now,
    join your local democratic party.
    There are fights in 2005 coming up.

by TealVeal on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 06:06:47 PM PST

•  cont. (none)
      After consuming, wipe grease from lips on shirt. As the arteries begin to harden, grab chest suddenly, gasp for breath, and fall to the floor. Allow to rest until paramedics arrive, insert into ambulance.

In the midst of life we are in debt, etc.

by ablington on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 06:48:06 PM PST

[ Parent ]

•  I know! (none)
    it was not me.
  •  How far back do archives go? (none)
    Wouldn't one be able to search for that using the things in a recipe? teaspoon... cup... butter...etc. It would probably only pull up the recipes... then check the dates.

It would take some time... there would be many tpo go through... but would't that be possible?

maybe not.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -Martin Luther King, Jr. _______ "We will not be silent." -Howard Dean

by jigsaw68 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 06:31:56 PM PST

•  poll (none)
    Cocktails    8 votes - 18 %
    Something simpler--I don't even know how to work my toaster    8 votes - 18 %
    Atkins-approved    6 votes - 13 %
    Desserts/ pastries    4 votes - 9 %

With the current 43 vote sample, it appears dKos members are overweight drunks who can't cook.  Say it isn't so.

BTW I voted Atkins, although they say South Beach is better for you heart .... if only the stereotype wasn't the beautiful rich people strutting their private-trainer-and-plastic-surgeon-shaped bodies in public.

peel and core 3 quince
    cover with water and add brown sugar (splenda) to suit
    cook till tender
    serve with savory main dish

•  Here is what I found in a search... (none)
    Here is the earliest recipe.......(used "teaspoon" as the search word)

Here is the earliest used as a rubuttle......(that I could find)

general tso's chicken (3.66 / 27)

is really quite easy to make.  at least in theory.  the real pain is cutting up all the chicken in 1/2 inch to 1-inch cubes.  then you "velvet" it by marinating it in eggwhites. i like to add a bit of that chinese cooking sherry too.  the most tedious part is coating it with cornstarch.

then you take a couple of those small dried hot peppers - arbols would do OK too - and briefly cook them in really hot peanut oil.  then you take them out and cook the chicken chunks.  when they're basically done you take them out, and most of the oil.  fry up some fresh ginger garlic and green onion, then you put in the sauce - which is like hoisin and soy and some other stuff.  put the chicken back in and coat it and you're ready to go!

courage, faith and truth my brothers and sisters
    by zeke L on Sat Jul 31st, 2004 at 05:31:48 CDT

by jigsaw68 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 06:53:40 PM PST

•  An even deeper mystery (none)
    Who was the first person on this site to not give a rat's ass who the first person was to post recipes in troll diaries?

It probably wasn't me. But I may be in the top 100, anyway.

"It is a common delusion that you make things better by talking about them." - Dame Rose Macaulay

by Zackpunk on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 07:12:32 PM PST

•  My first memories of the recipe gag (4.00)
    I had discovered the Daily Kos from a link (contained in a news story about a Democratic congressman who pulled his advertising from here when Kos was under assault during the whole 'dead mercenaries' shitstorm) and I was a relatively high lurker/low poster.

Because I had only been posting on the DailyKos for a few weeks, I don't believe I'd even posted a diary yet because I hadn't really gotten the swing of how things worked around here yet. I know for a fact that I was not a trusted user because when stuff vanished I was in the dark about where they went initially.

I believe that I might have actually been posting on one of the early threads that led into the recipe posting, if not THE threat that started it all...

It would have been about a month after the 'Dead Mercenaries' controversy then... since I have never mucked around in the archives I can't find it exactly. My personal page's history of comments only goes back 500 posts to this past September.

Here's the thing, and maybe this clue will help somebody remember their involvement or prod somebody who is better digging around for archival posts than me.

-I remember that it didn't start about recipes... no, not recipes at all... just throw away comments about food. What happened was there was a mini-flame war where one of the involved posters just stopped responding at all to his foil, and stopped talking about the fight on the thread... and just started talking about food. Not recipes. Just food. Like, just general throw away comments about liking manicoti or what was your favorite late night snack. It was deliberately banal and obviously a big 'I'm ignoring you, I'm ignoring you' thing like one little kid would do to enrage another.

It worked. Because the person who was really flaming away went ballistic. It might have been EdwardBanderson.

Then, as the heat shot straight up over the triviality of the food mini-conversation happening in the middle of a fight, somebody new followed up on the food talk and posted a recipe for General Gau's Chicken, seeing that the troll was really annoyed by the food stuff.

Boom!

The guy who was the most angry, maybe a troll maybe not, lots of the troublemakers from before my time have come and gone with new identities like Petey, got really pissed off by the recipe and obviously trollrated it and then the recipe comment was then rated up in solidarity, and then it was ON.

This was the first time I became aware of TU status, because I knew then that I didn't have TU status because I remember being bewildered that the recipe post just... vanished. And then... came back... and then vanished again. Since this was before my TU status days, I don't know if in the spring the ratings system was the same as it is now. It could be that the recipe poster just kept reposting the General Gau's chicken post. Until the comment was just stuck there because the troll quit or the ratings were just to rated up to fall below 1.0.

In fact, I recall for a while that General Gau or General Tsau Chicken recipes were thrown down like a gauntlet in a few of these early hissy fits.

I believe that its possible that the first poster, the food poster, was MaryScott OConnor and that the second poster, the recipe poster, was Hamletta... which would ironically make them BOTH responsible for the first recipe posting and the craze if I am right.

By the time of the thread that you referenced above in your diary... with my comment to another poster who was actually a bewildered newbie like I had been before, it WAS an established practice and had caught on pretty firmly.

So, unless my memory is completely shot, if you find the diaries/comments posted by MikeS, Hamletta, and MaryScott, and hidden comments fromt the same timeframe, say between May 1 2004 and mid-June 2004, you should have something of a 'target era' window to shoot for to find the first recipe poster.

Its 2004 now... Sept. 11th was in 2001... Mr. President, why is it that Osama Bin Ladin is still around to run Al Qaida and dole out videotapes?

by LeftHandedMan on Mon Dec 06, 2004 at 10:19:09 PM PST

•  Wow. (none)
      Your memory astounds me. It sounds pretty accurate, though I must say, I cannot take credit for initiating anything. I piggybacked off someone else -- possible Hamletta, possibly TealVeal, who knows. It seemed like a great idea.

Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Sat Dec 11, 2004 at 09:29:57 AM PST

[ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site